Category Archives: Holiday
Fireworks photography is a lot of fun. I first tried it a few years ago and now I always enjoy going to our local celebration and shooting some photos. For a small town, we have some great fireworks put on by the fire department. I know there are lots of tutorials out there on how to take fireworks photos, but here is a short list of what works best for me.
- Use a tripod – this is a must in order to get sharp photos!
- Set your camera on manual focus and set the focus to infinity.
- Use manual exposure mode: I set the shutter speed to the bulb setting, ISO to the lowest possible setting, and aperture to around f/10 to start with, adjusting as necessary if fireworks are over or underexposed.
- Don’t zoom in too far – it’s hard to predict exactly where the fireworks are going to explode in the sky, and it’s better to crop later than cut off part of the firework.
- If you are in an interesting location, include some of the surroundings with the first shots at dusk before it is completely dark.
I have tons of fireworks photos from last night, so if I don’t come up with anything else, I may post more later for the weekly photo challenge. I’ll just have to see what I come up with.